Reminiscing our first internet connections (WAS) Re: akamai yesterday - what in the world was that

nanog08 at mulligan.org nanog08 at mulligan.org
Tue Feb 18 02:03:20 UTC 2020

Speaking of dial up...

I remember on a trip I got the hotel sometime after 2am (bad weather,
bad flight). I was trying to dial out from hotel - 9 to get an outside
line, then "pause" and then 1 for long distance and 202 for the area code.

I mistyped the phone number or something, and I was not getting
connected but kept trying.  There was a knock at the door and "Police,
everything ok".

I answered and explained that I guess I had mistakenly dialed 911. They
did check the room and then left.

I gave up, went to bed, muttering that my email would just have to wait.

Geoff