Reminiscing our first internet connections (WAS) Re: akamai yesterday - what in the world was that

Brian brian at nc-ct.net
Mon Feb 17 20:07:15 UTC 2020

> On Feb 17, 2020, at 10:38 AM, Gene LeDuc <gleduc at sdsu.edu> wrote:

Does this thread make me not only think about the days of old, but also
makes me feel older! Not going back as far as some here but around
1993ish...

My first connection back in the day was a shell account I was given as
consultant and reseller for what was TIAC (then became PSI). I was also
at the time running a 6 line MajorBBS system (prior to WorldGroup). TIAC
allowed multiple concurrent logins to the shell so I purchased the
MajorBBS dialout module and had it login to my shell account which my
cosysop crafted a nice menu for basic feature usage such as
ftp/lynx/irc/etc. Users could then use my dialout feature into my shell
and do what they were looking to do.

Being somewhat out in the sticks and having a decent dial area coverage
it in a sense allowed me to become my local region's first ISP of sorts.
It was a hack but it worked and users were more than happy since for
many even dialing up to AOL or Compuserve was a toll call then.

--
If Confucius were alive today:
"A computing device left in the OFF power state never crashes"