Why are IPsec SAs unidirectional

Crist Clark cjc+nanog at pumpky.net
Sun Feb 16 21:50:12 UTC 2020

I think there are a number of reasons. For example, anti-replay would be
harder to implement on a bi- directional SA. Encryption and authentication
algorithms may be asymmetric, so defining a bi-directional SA for those
would be more complicated. For multicast, bi-directional also doesn’t make
much sense, and there are potential cases where unicast could be purely
unidirectional (though rare).

It’s not that you couldn’t define bi-directional SAs for those or other
cases, but rather than make the definition of an SA more complicated to fit
all of these different scenarios, simply do it the way it was done and
define it as one-way, and if you need bi-directional traffic, use one each
way.

I’m sure we have people much more familiar with the actual discussions that
got us where we are on the list (probably some who participated in those
discussions are here). They can give a definitive answer if they are so
inclined.