Peering/Transit eBGP sessions -pet or cattle?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sun Feb 16 11:42:41 UTC 2020

On 10/Feb/20 17:06, Baldur Norddahl wrote:

> Also transits are way more important than peers. Loosing a transit
> will cause massive route changes around the globe and it will take a
> few minutes to stabilize. Loosing a peer usually just means the peer
> switches to the transit route, that they already had available.

Not in our case, where only 15% of our traffic is handled by our transit
providers.

85% of our traffic comes from peering.

Then again, we have a single connection to each the major 7 transit
providers, spread across multiple cities. But I appreciate that not many
operators can be in this position.

Mark.