akamai yesterday - what in the world was that

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sun Feb 16 11:41:55 UTC 2020

On 24/Jan/20 16:55, Aaron Gould wrote:
> Thanks Jared, When I reminisce with my boss he reminds me that this telco/ISP here initially started with a 56kbps internet uplink , lol

In Uganda, the Internet first showed up in 1995.

Those days, 2 ISP's had 64Kbps each, via satellite, for all their customers.

A year or so later, they merged, and as 1+1 goes, they now had 128Kbps,
for the entire country.

It wasn't until about 2002 that ISP's in the region began purchasing at
least 1Mbps of (downlink satellite) bandwidth. Back then, you normally
bought half of your downlink bandwidth for the uplink, and average
pricing was anywhere between US$7,000 - US$13,000 for the priviledge,
depending on which satellite provider + ISP combo on "the other side"
you managed to hustle up.

Mark.