akamai yesterday - what in the world was that

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sun Feb 16 11:41:40 UTC 2020

On 23/Jan/20 21:52, Paul Nash wrote:

> A bit of perspective on bandwidth and feeling old.  The first non-academic connection from Africa (Usenet and Email, pre-Internet) ran at about 9600 bps over a Telebit Trailblazer in my living room.

Where in Africa? It's a small place you know :-)...

> Now we have a bajillion Gbps over submarine fibre landing pretty much everywhere, and my guess is that it is not enough bandwidth.

It probably won't be, but judging by where things are going, the
submarine, cross-continental links will be carrying most of the traffic
for a handful of networks. Hint: they aren't the telco's.

> All this to bring such vital resources as Facebook and Netflix :-)

I used to say back in my Malaysia days, "Content is not King,
Connectivity is King". This was the days of Hi5 and MySpace.

As for Netflix, we're just tired of having to leave the house, but I
suppose Amazon is the grand daddy of that :-).

Mark.