akamai yesterday - what in the world was that

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sun Feb 16 11:41:34 UTC 2020

On 24/Jan/20 12:43, Simon Leinen wrote:

> At 64kbps (ISDN/Antarctica) you could do it in 69 days, maybe even
> finishing before the next - undoubtedly bigger - release comes out.

In 1996, in Entebbe, it took me a week to download and copy mIRC.

Connection was a 14.4Kbps dial-up service during the week it rained all
day, everyday. Actual connection hovered between 4.8Kbps - 9.6Kbps.

On the Saturday where the rain abated for some 8hrs, mIRC finally came
through. By then, my 1.44MB floppy disk had run out of ideas, probably
from all the walking it endured between my house and the office of the
hotel manager 30 minutes up the road I hounded, given they had the good
sense to "buy the Internet" in those days.

I abandoned (what felt like) the project.

A year later, the gubbermint contracted the Chinese to fibre up all of
Uganda Telecom's CO's around the country, and we could then surf in the
rain :-).

Mark.