NANOG 78 Webcasts

Joly MacFie joly at punkcast.com
Sun Feb 16 02:21:33 UTC 2020

On Sat, Feb 15, 2020 at 6:03 PM Grant Taylor via NANOG <nanog at nanog.org>
wrote:

> Live streams through YouTube are quite different than videos uploaded to
> YouTube.
>
> YouTube doesn't store the live stream for later playback.  A separate
> copy of the video must be uploaded.
>

> --
> Grant. . . .
> unix || die

This is absolutely false, in fact the reverse is true! Public VOD on a
public livestream is the default. It has to be switched off, either by
deleting the streams, or making them 'private'.

What is also true is that, as long as a stream is under 8 hrs, YT has an
"editor" which permits trimming and "save as new".

My guess is that this is some kind of legal red tape, speakers signed off
for livestream but not VOD. If just one speaker objects, it can take the
whole thing down.

I will mention, that in the case of Hosein Badran's presentation, I asked
for, and received, permission to simulcast. It is available at
https://isoc.live/11782/

joly

--
Joly MacFie  +2185659365