akamai yesterday - what in the world was that

Mike Hammett nanog at ics-il.net
Fri Feb 14 18:58:49 UTC 2020

I think a better point might be that there are many points involved in the network distribution of software. Each one of them is a source of congestion. It could be the 10 meg last mile to the home. It could be the console with single chain wireless at the opposite end of the house of the access point. It could be a congested CDN. It could be a congested peering or transit link.

All suffer because of slopping coding and packaging choices.

BTW: Other than game updates and multiple 4k video streams, very few need more than 20 megs in the home.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions

Midwest Internet Exchange