akamai yesterday - what in the world was that

Livingood, Jason Jason_Livingood at comcast.com
Wed Feb 12 19:31:13 UTC 2020

(as an aside) Some of this timed & controlled distribution (by the content originator) should be possible using IETF Content Delivery Network Interconnection (CDNI) standards - see https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/cdni/documents/. The initial RFC 6707 provides some background - https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6707.

But I think folks are correct that the issue may be more that a given gaming device was turned off at night (though no reason that device could not pre-cache the content from the source). In any case, there should be a better way to address this. The Internet will see more and more of these downloads and smoothing the impact out seems prudent for all involved.

Jason