akamai yesterday - what in the world was that

Dave Bell me at geordish.org
Wed Feb 12 15:59:08 UTC 2020

On Wed, 12 Feb 2020 at 14:46, Brandon Martin <lists.nanog at monmotha.net>
wrote:

>  It would be nice if things could drop overnight to hopefully
> spread things out during the daytime lull some.

Night-time for you is daytime for someone else.

I agree that the folks pushing these massive data loads could be
considerate of the networks they are running on. The steam preload thing is
a great example. The content becomes available x weeks before launch and
downloaded to your device at some point in that window. It then simply
unlocked on launch day.

I'm not sure how much incentive there is for people to implement this kind
of system though. With the rise of CDN and global caching, people care less
about the performance of their servers for content distribution as it just
scales out.

Dave