Flow based architecture in data centers(more specifically Telco Clouds)

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Sun Feb 9 21:15:10 UTC 2020

On Sun, Feb 9, 2020 at 1:06 PM Rod Beck <rod.beck at unitedcablecompany.com>
wrote:

> They don't have to be related. 🙂

makes a cogent conversation harder :)

> I am curious about the distinction about the flow versus non-flow
> architecture for data centers and I am also fascinated by the separate
> issue of WAN architecture for these clouds.

WAN is probably: "least expensive option form A to B" plus some effort to
standardize across your deployment. Right?

Akamai is probably a good example, from what I can tell they were
'transit/peering only' until they realized their product was sending 'more
bits' between deployments than to customers (in some cases). So, pushing
the 'between our deployments' bits over dedicated links (be that dark,
waves, other L3 transport) made sense budget-wise.

(again.. just a chemical engineer and not a peering engineer, but...)