Flow based architecture in data centers(more specifically Telco Clouds)

Rod Beck rod.beck at unitedcablecompany.com
Sun Feb 9 11:18:02 UTC 2020

Please explain for us dumb sales guys the distinction between flow and non-flow. My question is the fundamental architecture of these clouds. We all know that Amazon is buying dark fiber and building a network based on lighting 100 and 10 gig waves on IRU and titled fiber. Same for Microsoft (I sold them in a past life some waves) and other large players.

But there appear to be quite a few cloud players that rely heavily on Layer 3 purchased from Level3 (CenturyLink) and other members of the august Tier 1 club. And many CDN players are really transit + real estate operations as was Akamai until recently.

It seems the threshold for moving from purchased transit plus peering to a Layer 1 and 2 network has risen over time. Many former Tier 2 ISPs pretty much gutted their private line networks as transit prices continued inexorable declines.

Best,

Roderick.