Non-default X.509 certs on EdgeOS?

Rob Seastrom rs-lists at seastrom.com
Thu Dec 31 13:12:48 UTC 2020

I realize that Ubiquiti may be in the same “too ashamed to talk publicly about it” bucket as Mikrotik, so feel free to email me off list instead of replying publicly - is anyone else here running non-default x.509 certs for the web GUI on the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter? [*]

I thought I had a fairly bulletproof recipe, sticky across more than a year of reboots, but on a recent power outage somehow things reverted to the factory self-signed cert.  ER4 still on EdgeOS 1.x.

Any thoughts from people who are also doing this would be appreciated.

-r

[*] - ER4 is on a residential connection, housekeeping raspi keeps DNS updated with current external IP address.  If we use ping to monitor in Nagios, in the event of a power event when someone else gets our old address we get a false service-ok alert, so instead we allow only the monitoring system to touch the otherwise-unused web gui on the external interface, and look for the CN to be what we’re expecting.  Works great, so long as the cert I put there stays...

Sent from my iPad