Where do your 911 fees go and why does 911 fail

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Wed Dec 30 19:11:06 UTC 2020

On Tue, 29 Dec 2020, Peter E. Fry wrote:
> 911 services are certainly not treated as critical as the public is
> led to believe. Not that anyone here is surprised by this, but
> hopefully positive change can come out of this otherwise horrible
> event.

The folks on this list likely know where the central Tennessee backup
tandem office is located. Although its semi-public knowledge, I avoided
mentioning its location until the immediate threat passed.  LATAs don't
have much legal meaning anymore, but every LATA had at least two tandem
offices.

Nevertheless, the "cloud" still depends on physical infrastructure.

I'm sure there will be several investigations by regulators why all
the 911 PSAPs didn't fail-over to the backup tandem office. Of course,
single-homed circuits physically connected to the Nashville CO wouldn't
fail-over.