10g residential CPE

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Mon Dec 28 20:02:36 UTC 2020

Darin,

Surely you at least give the paying customers priority over the non-paying? It’s one thing to say “I have to write paychecks no matter what”. It’s another to say “I’ll give away my support to free customers AND degrade support for paying customers as a result.” Your tech support guy “walking Grandma through getting her email” is necessarily not accessible for the duration to paying customers.

This means your staffing must be large enough to never have any queuing, or you’re giving away your paying customers' time to non-paying customers. Neither approach is scalable in a competitive business environment, because SOMEBODY is paying for all those resources, and if it’s your customers, they will buy elsewhere. Your approach only work until you run out of other people’s money.

  -mel