10g residential CPE

Aaron Wendel aaron at wholesaleinternet.net
Mon Dec 28 17:01:35 UTC 2020

Darin,

We charge a $300 one time install charge to cover our costs on the 1G
service (which can be paid out at $25/mo if you can't afford $300 all at
once).

The area we serve is mainly lower and lower-middle-class income with an
80% transient population.  Seven years ago, when "digital divide" and
"digital literacy" were the buzz words, we instituted our "free" 1G
service in an effort to level the playing field for the population who,
otherwise, can't afford internet at all, let alone at that speed.  Until
recently we didn't charge for residential service at any tier.  Rather
than putting in "income tiers", making people fill out applications for
assistance, etc. we just made it free for everyone.  We also provide
free 100G service to the local school district as well as free service
to local government, police, fire stations (Firemen (and women) had to
pay for their own internet to use while they were on duty before us),
library, churches and other non-profits.

That's the why.  The how is that we control a LOT of fiber in the metro
area that is in use by a lot of very large providers that everyone's
heard of.  We make enough money doing that so we don't feel the need to
charge the residences for a basic level of service.

Aaron

Aaron Wendel
Chief Technical Officer
Wholesale Internet, Inc. (AS 32097)