[External] Re: 10g residential CPE

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Mon Dec 28 14:57:48 UTC 2020

It’s not just the lithium load in the environment that is of concern. As early as 2018 the US EPA had collected data on the incidence of so-called “hot fires” caused by lithium batteries in the waste stream. So far, nobody has been killed. But it’s only a matter of time before someone is, given that there are no thermal protection measures built into the cells themselves, only into a functioning product. But the industry has dismissed self-extinguishing batteries as too impactful on weight/performance ratio.

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2018-03/documents/timpane_epa_li_slides312_ll_1.pdf

 -mel beckman