10g residential CPE

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.com
Sun Dec 27 10:05:16 UTC 2020

On 12/26/20 20:30, Aaron Wendel wrote:

> We run MikroTik RB4011s for residential speeds between 1G and 10G or
> just supply a media converter.  For residential 40G and 100G we just
> drop in Arista or Extreme switches.  SMBs are normally just a media
> converter or direct fiber handoff.
>
> https://mikrotik.com/product/rb4011igs_5hacq2hnd_in
> <https://mikrotik.com/product/rb4011igs_5hacq2hnd_in>
>
> There are not a lot of options for good, off the shelf 10G CPE
> equipment.  The handful of 10G residential customers we have seem to
> be happy with the tik.  The couple that don’t use it have rolled their
> own solution.
>
> Like anything, I’m sure once the major home broadband providers start
> to catch up with us smaller guys the vendors will catch up as well.

I like the Tik for a home CPE because it will keep getting updates for
as long as you have it.

That is unlike typical home CPE that need to be swapped out every year
to pick up a new feature.

It does not surprise me, one bit, that the Tik is just about the only
half-decent 10Gbps-capable CPE out there that won't break the bank. The
fact that you can get software updates for it every few weeks/months
makes it a lot more compelling than your usual CPE suspects.

Mark.