[External] Re: 10g residential CPE

Mike Hammett nanog at ics-il.net
Sat Dec 26 23:23:14 UTC 2020

Ego.
Ignorance.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions

Midwest Internet Exchange

The Brothers WISP

----- Original Message -----

From: "Michael Thomas" <mike at mtcc.com>
To: nanog at nanog.org
Sent: Friday, December 25, 2020 1:27:39 PM
Subject: Re: [External] Re: 10g residential CPE

On 12/25/20 11:04 AM, Mark Tinka wrote:

On 12/25/20 20:10, Hunter Fuller via NANOG wrote:

It would meet some customers’ needs because multiple people could use 1G of service at a time. I think it is interesting to distinguish “>1G CPE” from “true 10G CPE” and I suspect many / most customers are looking for the former.

Large upstream capacity has always been about aggregation of the downstream.

Can I ask a really dumb question? Consider it an xmas present. I know this sounds like "nobody needs more than 640k", but how can household possibly need a gig let alone 10g? I'm still on 25mbs DSL, have cut the cord so all tv, etc is over the net. If I really cared and wanted 4k I could probably upgrade to a 50mbs service and be fine. Admittedly it's just the two of us here, but throw in a couple of kids and I still don't see how ~100mbs isn't sufficient let alone 1 or 10G. Am I missing something really stupid?

Mike