10g residential CPE

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Sat Dec 26 18:16:01 UTC 2020

On 12/26/20 10:09 AM, Valdis Klētnieks wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Dec 2020 17:50:28 +0000, Mel Beckman said:
>> If vendors saw a 10GbE CPE market, they would serve it. Obviously they don’t
>> see a market. Why don’t people insisting vendors build their hobby horse see
>> that? It’s like they’re being deliberately obtuse :)
> The number of people that want a router that does 10GbE is vastly
> outnumbered by the number of people that want a router that
> makes their Zoom sessions not suck.
>
> Admittedly, many of them don't realize they want that router, mostly
> because most of them don't realize it's not difficult at all to build one
> that does that.  But that's why companies have an advertising and marketing
> team. :)

The marketing writes itself:

"Do you have to kick your kids of the network for company Zoom calls?
You need this brand spanking new router!"

I've been trying to explain to friends that are now saddled with video
calls all the time what the problem is, but it's really hard to point
and say "buy this router". There are a few out there that feature it,
but they're about $200 which is pretty spendy. Considering that this is
just a OS module, your basic $50 router should be able to support it
without any problem too.

Mike