10g residential CPE

Valdis Kl=?utf-8?Q?=c4=93?=tnieks valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Sat Dec 26 16:00:31 UTC 2020

On Sat, 26 Dec 2020 00:32:49 -0500, bzs at theworld.com said:

> I suppose that depends a lot on what the actual prices of a flat-rate
> 1gb vs a fully saturated 10gb. If it's $50 vs $100/mo perhaps some
> would say ok I'll risk the $50 overage, if it's $50 vs $500/mo maybe
> not.
>
> And today we have bandwidth-shaping in most any router/cpe (or could)
> so even with the 10gb/metered someone in the house with the password
> could rate-limit except when they needed it :-)

Note that the vast majority of users either use the ISP-provided CPE, or
something they picked up at Walmart or Best Buy.

This leads to an interesting economic incentive problem.  The ISP is obviously
not motivated to supply kit that can do bandwidth shaping on a metered drop.
Meanwhile, the providers of gear that gets sold at Walmart or Best Buy also
have no motivation to add it until enough ISPs are providing metered high-speed
service that "We can help prevent overage charges" becomes a viable market
differentiation.

Anybody got a feel for what percent of the third-party gear currently sold to
consumers has sane bufferbloat support in 2020, when we've *known* that
de-bufferbloated gear is a viable differentiatior if marketed right (consider the
percent of families that have at least one gamer who cares)?