[External] Re: 10g residential CPE

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.com
Sat Dec 26 05:54:15 UTC 2020

On 12/26/20 00:32, John Levine wrote:

> I agree it is odd to make 100/100 the top speed. The fiber service I
> have from my local non-Bell telco offers 100/100, 500/500, and
> 1000/1000. FiOS where you can get it goes to 940/880.
>
> The obvious guess is that their upstream bandwidth is
> underprovisioned, or maybe they figure 100/100 is all they need to
> compete in that particular market.

GPON upstream capacity is not symmetrical to the downstream. Above a
certain threshold, providers will sell less upload than download,
depending on how many customers are provisioned on a given OLT.

XG-PON is symmetrical, but not as widely deployed.

Providers that deliver services over Active-E do not care.

Mark.