[External] Re: 10g residential CPE

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.com
Sat Dec 26 05:37:51 UTC 2020

On 12/25/20 22:40, Chris Adams wrote:

> Bandwidth is like disk space - you think "I'll never use all of this",
> and then the availability changes behavior.  Having ability to do more
> means your behavior changes to utilize more.  We don't NEED high speed
> Internet to download games - we could leave the download running
> overnight for example - but being able to download big games in minutes
> means we get to try more games, finding new things to like.

I don't disagree with this - having more bandwidth means everyone in the
house can do what they want without impacting the other. And that
probably makes sense for 500Mbps - 1Gbps of service to the house, which
is why there are plenty of CPE and ISP services to solve for that today.

10Gbps, on the other hand, is a real problem to justify... you are more
likely to hit device limits than fill up 10Gbps for a basic home.

Mark.