[External] Re: 10g residential CPE

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sat Dec 26 04:12:24 UTC 2020

In article <5f11bc55-e3d1-006d-c4c4-0703ff63cf89 at mtcc.com> you write:
>> The obvious guess is that their upstream bandwidth is
>> underprovisioned, or maybe they figure 100/100 is all they need to
>> compete in that particular market.
>
>What's weirder is that it's most likely not going to allow them to
>retire their copper plant since they are a phone company and i'm fairly
>certain that regulations won't allow them to say "get a battery for this
>phone dongle"....

I realize the rules in NY may be different, but my telco supplied
fiber modem, which is about the size of a pack of cards, comes with a
much larger 12V UPS with a substantial battery. I looked at the specs
for the modem and the UPS and it appears that the battery is good for
about four days.

They sure seem ready to take down the oopper. The installer was sad
when I told him to leave my six-pair copper cable alone even though
nothing is using it now.