[External] Re: 10g residential CPE

Chris Adams cma at cmadams.net
Fri Dec 25 20:40:44 UTC 2020

Once upon a time, Michael Thomas <mike at mtcc.com> said:
> On 12/25/20 11:39 AM, Cory Sell wrote:
> >I saturate my 1G connection most during game downloads, file
> >downloads/uploads, full backup uploads, etc.
> >
> >I also self-host a lot of services for personal use and having
> >that peak speed is really nice when you need it. It also had no
> >traffic limit per month which is my biggest complaint about the
> >lower tier services and also a huge complaint I have with regards
> >to the direction that residential services are moving towards.
>
> Obviously for downloads it's nice, but how often is that happening?
> A time or two a month max? It seems sort of strange the providers
> would build out infrastructure for such a niche activity.

With an Xbox Game Pass subscription, there are a ton of games available
for play at no additional cost (with some games being added and removed
monthly).  My group of Xbox friends will regularly look at the list and
say "let's try this one" - it might be a few gig or a 60GB or more
download (I've got a few games over 100GB).  We might play it for 10
minutes, decide it isn't to our liking, delete it, and try another game.

I think the highest Xbox download rate I've seen is around 350Mbps (with
a wired gig link to the Xbox) on my gig home service.

The other aspect of it is that we're doing these downloads while
continuing to play other games and chat (both things sensitive to
latency).  Some have family/roommates in the home, so they may be
streaming audio and/or video at the same time.  Do we fill up a gigabit?
No, probably not... but we'd notice if we had a lot less.

Bandwidth is like disk space - you think "I'll never use all of this",
and then the availability changes behavior.  Having ability to do more
means your behavior changes to utilize more.  We don't NEED high speed
Internet to download games - we could leave the download running
overnight for example - but being able to download big games in minutes
means we get to try more games, finding new things to like.

--
Chris Adams <cma at cmadams.net>