10g residential CPE

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.com
Fri Dec 25 20:16:23 UTC 2020

On 12/25/20 21:57, Tony Wicks wrote:

> I Have an RB4011 and while it does work very well for the price it is not really practical for the sort of people who don't reside on this list.

Which says what about 10Gbps-in-the-home practicality?

>   Firstly the single 10G port means you have to connect it via a separate 10G switch and then vlan the external connection to the ONT via another switch port.

That would typically be the ISP-facing side. Not your problem.

>   Secondly the physical format is great for those of us who love the idea of a passive cooling rack mount device but not so much the stick it on a shelf masses.

Again, where's that 10Gbps practicality for the home?

>   Thirdly the interface has way too many knobs for anyone who does not know what MPLS stands for.

Winbox is not too bad. I use it everyday for my little hAP ac2.

That said, for US$199, this would be a steal - for the folk that reside
on this list.

Mark.