[External] Re: 10g residential CPE

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.com
Fri Dec 25 20:11:50 UTC 2020

On 12/25/20 21:45, Michael Thomas wrote:

> Obviously for downloads it's nice, but how often is that happening? A
> time or two a month max? It seems sort of strange the providers would
> build out infrastructure for such a niche activity.

Haha, that's the trick; they don't.

Because the logic is similar to yours - how often will customers be
pushing that much traffic, and if at all, for how long?

Most providers will sell 1Gbps without doing anything different to the
infrastructure, because they know most customers probably have no clue
about the difference between 2.4GHz, 5GHz, 802.11a, b, g, n, ac and ax,
Cat-5, 5e and 6, range extenders, boosters, the works.

If it were me, I'd do the same, as a 1Gbps consumer provider :-). Heck,
it's free money.

Mark.