[External] Re: 10g residential CPE

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.com
Fri Dec 25 20:08:53 UTC 2020

On 12/25/20 21:39, Cory Sell via NANOG wrote:

> I saturate my 1G connection most during game downloads, file
> downloads/uploads, full backup uploads, etc.

Same here, but how often does this happen?

I upload my videos to Youtube once a week, if not less, at the most. The
kids, more regularly, but the 100Mbps I had before could cope. So what
the 200Mbps gets me now is half the time, which isn't saying much.

> I also self-host a lot of services for personal use and having that
> peak speed is really nice when you need it.

Nothing wrong with that, but if you had 500Mbps on a given Sunday, would
you life be half as bad?

> It also had no traffic limit per month which is my biggest complaint
> about the lower tier services and also a huge complaint I have with
> regards to the direction that residential services are moving towards.

Marketing at play :-).

Mark.