10g residential CPE

Niels Bakker niels=nanog at bakker.net
Fri Dec 25 19:34:47 UTC 2020

* mark.tinka at seacom.com (Mark Tinka) [Fri 25 Dec 2020, 19:11 CET]:
>I have a mate up the road who just paid for a 1Gbps FTTH service
>because it was the same price as a 100Mbps one. He generally lives
>between 900Kbps and 20Mbps.
>
>Gigabit-level FTTH services for the home, I feel, have always been
>about marketing ploys from providers, because they know there is no
>practical way users can ever hit those figures from their homes.
[...]

Gigabit speeds are about bursting.  Foreground activities like gaming,
making online reservations, streaming won't take more than that, but
anything faster is really nice to have when you're waiting for the odd
software download to finish. (You may have noticed that they've been
increasing in size this year.)

	-- Niels.