[External] Re: 10g residential CPE

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Fri Dec 25 19:27:39 UTC 2020

On 12/25/20 11:04 AM, Mark Tinka wrote:

> On 12/25/20 20:10, Hunter Fuller via NANOG wrote:
>

>> It would meet some customers’ needs because multiple people could use
>> 1G of service at a time. I think it is interesting to distinguish
>> “>1G CPE” from “true 10G CPE” and I suspect many / most customers are
>> looking for the former.
>
> Large upstream capacity has always been about aggregation of the
> downstream.

Can I ask a really dumb question? Consider it an xmas present. I know
this sounds like "nobody needs more than 640k", but how can household
possibly need a gig let alone 10g? I'm still on 25mbs DSL, have cut the
cord so all tv, etc is over the net. If I really cared and wanted 4k I
could probably upgrade to a 50mbs service and be fine. Admittedly it's
just the two of us here, but throw in a couple of kids and I still don't
see how ~100mbs isn't sufficient let alone 1 or 10G. Am I missing
something really stupid?

Mike