10g residential CPE

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.com
Fri Dec 25 18:06:57 UTC 2020

On 12/25/20 19:45, Bryan Fields wrote:

> That has 1 10g port.  How can that be a 10g CPE?

Realistically, what are you going to be running at 1.01Gbps inside your
home at any given point?

Yes, this may or may not be a rhetorical question.

> so, not 10g :)

Show me a single production-level 10Gbps port that runs at 10Gbps :-).

> Add in some services and I bet it goes down from there.

Yes, those are just plain old IP routing numbers.

Add IPSec and QoS, the numbers fall to between 20% - 40% of that.

> The bigger question in all this if you're doing 10g to the residential user,
> what are they going to use for their home router/NAT device?  Even 60 ghz wifi
> routers top out at like 5 gbit/s, and NAT at this speed means a powerful CPU.
>
> 10g to the home is a great idea to think about, it's just not terribly
> practical for most customers unless they want to drop 1-2k on routing gear and
> nics.  This is always changing, but it's going to be a few years until we
> reach the right performance and price point.

Well, the initial question is what is going to drive that kind of
capacity in a home setting?

Unless you are providing some kind of service at some kind of scale, I
just don't see homes blowing through 10Gbps, never mind 1Gbps.

I just bumped my FTTH service up from 100Mbps to 200Mbps, and aside from
faster Youtube uploads for my DJ sets, I'm struggling to fill it :-).

I have a mate up the road who just paid for a 1Gbps FTTH service because
it was the same price as a 100Mbps one. He generally lives between
900Kbps and 20Mbps.

Gigabit-level FTTH services for the home, I feel, have always been about
marketing ploys from providers, because they know there is no practical
way users can ever hit those figures from their homes. But because users
want to "feel good" and "brag" about their Gigabit home connectivity,
they'll pay for it. Heck, if I were a consumer ISP, I'd do it too :-).

Mark.