10g residential CPE

Bryan Fields Bryan at bryanfields.net
Fri Dec 25 17:45:33 UTC 2020

On 12/25/20 4:52 AM, Mark Tinka wrote:
> For the home, if you're looking at shipping 10Gbps-based CPE's for under
> US$200, I can't think of anything other than the Tik:
>
>      https://mikrotik.com/product/rb4011igs_rm

That has 1 10g port.  How can that be a 10g CPE?

> They claim:
>
>      - 2.6Gbps forwarding for 64-byte packets.
>      - 7.8Gbps forwarding for 512-byte packets.
>      - 9.7Gbps forwarding for 1,518-byte packets.

so, not 10g :)

Add in some services and I bet it goes down from there.

The bigger question in all this if you're doing 10g to the residential user,
what are they going to use for their home router/NAT device?  Even 60 ghz wifi
routers top out at like 5 gbit/s, and NAT at this speed means a powerful CPU.

10g to the home is a great idea to think about, it's just not terribly
practical for most customers unless they want to drop 1-2k on routing gear and
nics.  This is always changing, but it's going to be a few years until we
reach the right performance and price point.

--
Bryan Fields

727-409-1194 - Voice
http://bryanfields.net