Are the days of the showpiece NOC office display gone forever?

Peter E. Fry pfry at tailbone.net
Thu Dec 17 23:14:21 UTC 2020

> Subject: Re: Are the days of the showpiece NOC office display gone
> forever?
> From: Tom Beecher <beecher at beecher.cc>
> To: Matt Erculiani <merculiani at gmail.com>
> Cc: NANOG Operators' Group <nanog at nanog.org>
> Date: Thursday, 12/17/2020 11:59:37

[...]
> Contrary to what salespeople will say, the answer is not 100%
> automation, or 100% humans. The proper answer is an often changing
> combination of the two.

I believe the desired combination is automation + button-pushing
monkeys.

> ML is not the magical unicorn solution that solves everything,
> contrary to what many papers and salespeople tell you. [...]

But which will write Shakespeare first?  I'd bet on the monkeys,
although both come up with some unique and unanticipated ways to fail.

Oh well.  Back to pushing buttons.  Someday my masterpiece will be
complete...

Peter E. Fry