"Hacking" these days - purpose?

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Mon Dec 14 19:43:01 UTC 2020

Saku Ytti wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Dec 2020 at 19:12, Miles Fidelman <mfidelman at meetinghouse.net> wrote:
>
>> As to chess... I've begun to think that the game to master is now Go...
>> capturing territory, not pieces, and instantaneous global state changes.
> Now implies change, when, in your mind, this changed from Chess to Go?

Not sure it's marked by a discrete moment in time.  More that the
Chinese have been playing Go, while the West mostly still plays chess -
and that seems like a problem.

I remember learning, decades ago, that there's a form of Chinese poetry,
written with ideographs, that has to make sense both horizontally &
vertically.   Essentially painting with ideographs.  A mind that can
handle that, and a culture that nurtures that kind of thinking - that
scares the shit out of me. (And definitely makes me want to do some more
acid, to keep up.)

Miles

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined:
nothing works and no one knows why.  ... unknown