Changing DNS host records

Niels Bakker niels=nanog at bakker.net
Fri Dec 11 19:47:19 UTC 2020

* matthew at corp.crocker.com (Matthew Crocker) [Fri 11 Dec 2020, 20:27 CET]:
>I have many customers that have registered their domains against my
>authoritative servers (DNS-AUTH3.CROCKER.COM).  I need to move that
>machine to a different network/IP address.  I’ve made the updates in
>my domain (crocker.com) but I think I also need to update the host
>glue records in the gtld-servers as well.  How do I go about doing
>that?  Ultimately the customers need to update their registration
>with our new authoritative servers, many have but we still have some
>stragglers I don’t want to break when I shutdown the old servers.

Normally you'd go to your registrar and update the host record there.
However, you've not created one, presumably because you don't need one
(crocker.com is on AWS nameservers), so you don't need to do anything
except update your own zone.

Check the output of

	% dig a DNS-AUTH3.CROCKER.COM @a.gtld-servers.net.

for (the lack of) A records in the additional section. Replace your
host with e.g. rip.psg.com to see the difference for an existing glue
record.

You used to be able to see host records using whois but that
functionality appears to have gone away.

	-- Niels.