Changing DNS host records

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Fri Dec 11 19:42:55 UTC 2020

Matthew Crocker writes:

> I have many customers that have registered their domains against my authoritative servers (DNS-AUTH3.CROCKER.COM).    I need to move that machine to a different network/IP address.    I’ve made the updates in my domain (crocker.com) but I think I also need to update the host glue records in the gtld-servers as well.

This makes me wonder if registries (and registrars) have the ability
to let domain purchasers insert arbitrary glue records of their choice
into gtld-servers.  That seems like a big risk because someone could
then claim, when registering a domain, "mydomain.com. IN NS gmail.com."
and insert a glue record like "gmail.com. IN A 93.184.216.34".