Weather Service faces Internet bandwidth shortage, proposes limiting key data

Rich Kulawiec rsk at gsp.org
Fri Dec 11 01:30:55 UTC 2020

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 09:48:25AM -0500, Jared Mauch wrote:
> I miss weather underground before it became slow as molasses with
> openstreetmap and other things.

As do I, and the demise of uswx.com took away one of the alternatives.
I spent some time earlier this year unsuccessfully trying to contact
the people behind uswx.com in the hopes of restarting it as a very
lightweight site that could be read in a text-only web browser *and*
scripted -- since I think it would be handy to be have a weather
site that could easily be scraped for custom uses such as "cron job that
sends me a brief 3-day forecast for locations X Y Z every day at 6 AM".

---rsk