Weather Service faces Internet bandwidth shortage, proposes limiting key data

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Dec 10 18:39:46 UTC 2020

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 12:14 AM Rich Kulawiec <rsk at gsp.org> wrote:
> > Weather Service faces Internet bandwidth shortage, proposes limiting key data
> > The National Weather Service is proposing to place limits on accessing its
> > life-saving weather data in a bid to fix Internet outages.
> > By Jason Samenow and Andrew Freedman
> >
> > https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2020/12/09/nws-data-limits-internet-bandwidth/

> This seems like a problem that this group could solve rather rapidly with minimal
> incremental expense.  It also seems like one that's very much worth solving.

If I had to venture a guess, it's not a network problem it's a web
server problem. It's far too easy to design a web server where each
request consumes 10 to 100 times the processing that it absolutely
needs to, often with database bottlenecks that further constrain
scalability. Put such a system under broad load and of course it
collapses.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--