Fwd: Weather Service faces Internet bandwidth shortage, proposes limiting key data

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Thu Dec 10 14:51:25 UTC 2020

Rich Kulawiec wrote:
> ----- Forwarded message from Dave Farber <farber at gmail.com> -----
>
>> From: Dave Farber <farber at gmail.com>
>> Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2020 15:47:44 +0900
>> Subject: [IP] Weather Service faces Internet bandwidth shortage, proposes limiting key data
>>
>> Weather Service faces Internet bandwidth shortage, proposes limiting key data
>> The National Weather Service is proposing to place limits on accessing its
>> life-saving weather data in a bid to fix Internet outages.
>> By Jason Samenow and Andrew Freedman
>>
>> https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2020/12/09/nws-data-limits-internet-bandwidth/
> [snip]
>

> This seems like a problem that this group could solve rather rapidly with minimal
> incremental expense.  It also seems like one that's very much worth solving.

High resolution images, lots of users, lots of reps per minute - sounds
like a budgetary problem to me.  Yup, limiting refreshes doesn't seem
unreasonable - pending some serious redesign of their content delivery
network.  Meanwhile, remember that these folks are seeing serious
political efforts to limit things like climate modeling - so some of
this might be information suppression through resource starvation.

Miles Fidelman

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined:
nothing works and no one knows why.  ... unknown