The Real AI Threat?

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Thu Dec 10 00:34:33 UTC 2020

Miles,

My point is that there is no reason to wrap this engineering problem in the mythology of AI. There are no new problems here. The only way automated threat detection & response combined with automatic resource allocation allocation will lead to a disaster is if an incompetent (sometimes called “agile” :) software engineer fails to design in appropriate safeguards.

The problem isn’t the technology. It’s the lack of competent engineering. You can’t equate  "AI fighting for survival" with "bad engineering”, anymore than you can equate time travel with bad engineering.

Incidentally, Alan Turing’s test, which posits that a computer can be said to possess human intelligence if it can fool a human with its responses, was debunked long ago by an undergraduate CS student, who innocently asked, at an AI conference attended by CS luminaries “Does it follow, then, that if a computer can fool a dog with its responses, that it possesses dog-level intelligence?” ROTFL!

So don’t be fooled by Siri and Google voice response. There is no intellect there, only pattern matching. Which we’ve been doing with machines since the Jacquard Loom.

 -mel