Ipv6 help

Brian Johnson brian.johnson at netgeek.us
Thu Aug 27 04:55:30 UTC 2020

> On Aug 26, 2020, at 4:07 PM, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via NANOG <nanog at nanog.org> wrote:
>
> Because:
>
> 1) It needs *much less* IPv4 addresses (in the NAT64) for the same number of customers.

I cannot see how this is even possible. If I use private space internally to the CGN, then the available external space is the same and the internal customers are the same and I can do the same over sub ratio under both circumstance. Tell me how the math is different.

> 2) It provides the customers as many ports they need (no a limited number of ports per customer).

See response to answer 1

> 3) It is not blocked by PSN (don't know why because don't know how the games have problems with CGN).

Interesting, but I’m not sure how any over-loaded NAT translation would look different from the external system. Since you cannot explain it, it’s hard to discuss it.

> You could share among an *almost unlimited* number of subscribers an small IPv4 block (even just a /22).

The math would be the same as a CGN, so I do not see how this is any less or more useful. It does, however, require CPE capability that appears lacking and NAT444 does not.