Ipv6 help

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.com
Wed Aug 26 18:17:53 UTC 2020

On 26/Aug/20 18:48, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via NANOG wrote:

> I work and I'm in touch with many CPE vendors since long time ago ... many are on the way (I can remember about 12 on top of my head right now, but because contracts, can't name them). It takes time. However, in many cases, they just do for specific customers or specific models. I know other people that contacted the same vendors and they told them "we could do it for the model you use as well". In some cases, they require a minimum volume per year (less than what you could expect. I've seen cases that start with just 500 units per month).
>
> But this only works if you contact them. The CPE vendors business model seems to be very "ISP" direct. I think the retail marked models, unfortunately, will take a bit more time.
>
> A hint about some vendors: You may take a look at the co-authors in the RFC.

This is the bit I was referring to when I meant, "It shouldn't be this
hard".

It's one thing for big San Jose vendors to build boxes for specific
customers based on volume or deal potential. It's another when consumer
CPE's do not get critical love like CLAT until some large provider with
millions of customers that is half-interested in spending some energy on
this walks up dangling a potential cheque in front of them.

If these CPE vendors are here, lurking, don't waste your time developing
WMM for your wireless routers. Divert those resources to implementing
CLAT rather. Customers are more likely to buy CPE if they perform the
most basic functions well. Heck, half the work has already been done in
OpenWRT...

Mark.