Ipv6 help

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.com
Wed Aug 26 11:58:29 UTC 2020

On 26/Aug/20 10:49, Bjørn Mork wrote:

> You aren't forcing anything if you allow the users to use any CPE and
> document the features it must/should have.
>
>  You want IPv4 access without DNS? Then you need CLAT
>  You don't know what CLAT is?  Call your CPE vendor for support
>  You don't care what CLAT is?  Use our CPE
>  You want to call us for support?  Use our CPE
>
> There is no force here.  It all is pretty similar to
>
>  You want to connect the CPE to our ONT?  Then you need Ethernet
>  etc.
>
> excluding all those TokenRing routers.

To be fair, most customers don't care about features.

A customer will buy an 802.11ax wi-fi router, completely forgetting that
their demarc. CPE is ADSL or only good for 25Mbps FTTH.

A customer will want to stream at 4K from their in-home DLNA server,
connected to a wi-fi adapter, and totally forget that that wi-fi adapter
only talks 802.11b. Or better, they'll have an 802.11ac wi-fi adapter in
their DLNA server, but forget that the AP it's talking to is only
connected at 10Mbps to the LAN.

This stuff was easier when customers had dial-up or ADSL. It's going to
get a lot more complicated to fully appreciate with FTTH, because most
customers don't understand that the performance of any link is limited
by the weakest one all the way from the user device, into their (W)LAN,
and up to the package they bought from their ISP.

So publishing features for a CPE for customers to buy won't work for the
majority of folk. All they'll look at is, "Does it say Wi-Fi Router",
has the Wi-Fi logo, pay, and leave. And the attendants in the shop are
neither the wiser nor have the patience to clue Jane or Joe on proper
home network design.

> If you create such a feature table as the service provider, and the
> customer is unable to match it against their CPE documentation, then
> that's a problem between the CPE vendor and the customer.
>
> I can't understand why you want to make it your problem, as long as you
> offer a CPE that just works.

I don't want a customer calling me anymore than the next ISP does. But,
when a customer has a problem, they won't pick up the phone and call
D-Link, TP-Link or Linksys. They'll call me, their provider. And this is
true whether they got the CPE from me or by themselves from a store.

We need to think outside of this NANOG group of nerds...

Mark.