Recently Completed BGP Study on "Peerlock" Defensive Filtering

Tyler McDaniel bt.mcdaniel88 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 12:39:48 UTC 2020

Hello!

My colleagues and I at the University of Tennessee recently completed a
study on the “Peerlock” route leak protection system (
https://archive.nanog.org/sites/default/files/Snijders_Everyday_Practical_Bgp.pdf)
and related defensive filtering techniques. Specifically, we probed for
evidence of these systems on the control plane and attempted to locate
filtering sites. Additionally, we evaluated the system's effectiveness in
simulation.

The pre-print of this paper is available at:
https://arxiv.org/abs/2006.06576. While this work was previously mentioned
here by Job Snijders, we want to make an additional push for comments from
network operators. Our experimental design and findings in Section 3 may be
of some interest.

Most importantly, if any of the Tier 1 networks could confirm or challenge
our findings with respect to their filter placement, that would be
enormously helpful! We realize that this information is often secret/under
NDA, but providing some element of ground truth would assist us in
correctly evaluating our work.

Thank you!

Tyler McDaniel

Graduate Research Assistant/PhD Candidate

Computer Security Laboratory

University of Tennessee, Knoxville