TCP and UDP Port 0 - Should an ISP or ITP Block it?

Mike Hammett nanog at ics-il.net
Tue Aug 25 12:39:13 UTC 2020

TCP vs. UDP.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.ics-il.com

Midwest-IX
http://www.midwest-ix.com

----- Original Message -----

From: "K. Scott Helms" <kscott.helms at gmail.com>
To: "Job Snijders" <job at ntt.net>
Cc: "NANOG list" <nanog at nanog.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 25, 2020 7:27:24 AM
Subject: Re: TCP and UDP Port 0 - Should an ISP or ITP Block it?

Job,

Comcast is blocking it. From the table on that page.

"Port 0 is a reserved port, which means it should not be used by
applications. Network abuse has prompted the need to block this port."

"What about UDP IP fragmentation?"

I'm not sure I follow this. The IP packet will be fragmented with UDP
inside it. When the IP packet gets put together the UDP PDU will have
a port number. It's possible that some packet analyzers or network
gear will improperly "see" a partial UDP flow as port 0 but that's a
mischaracterization of the flow.

Scott Helms

Scott Helms