RPKI for dummies

Rayhaan Jaufeerally (NANOG) rayhaan+nanog at rayhaan.ch
Sun Aug 23 18:57:08 UTC 2020

[sorry if you're getting this twice, I accidentally sent from the wrong
address and it was rejected from the list]
Hi Dovid,

BGPSEC (as specified in RFC8205 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8205>) is
the next level of routing security which provides the kind of in-band
guarantees that you describe. In my view, RPKI with its ROAs is a stepping
stone to get to an end state where BGPSEC can be deployed and routes
validated end-to-end in the BGP control plane itself. Specifically, RPKI
gets the roots of trust out there, and in use, and these can then be used
in the future to bootstrap the BGPSEC ecosystem (RFC 8209
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8209> proposes a certificate profile for
BGPSEC based on the RPKI)

>From what I have seen, there are some roadblocks to widespread adoption of
BGPSEC, notably:

   - I'm not aware of any ready to use out of the box implementations of
   RFC8205 on off the shelf routers from major vendors,
      - There is a patch to BIRD
<http://www.securerouting.net/tools/bird/>(site
      appears down ATM, but referenced from:
      https://bird.network.cz/pipermail/bird-users/2015-August/009877.html)
      and a variant of Quagga
      <https://www.nist.gov/services-resources/software/bgp-secure-routing-extension-bgp-srx-prototype>
which
      supports BGPSEC, though.
   - There will be increased memory and CPU requirements for routers
   performing these validations in the control plane

I think the offloading approach we've seen with RPKI validators running on
another host would be an interesting one to consider as it could relieve
the need for routers themselves to be upgraded with more performant
hardware to perform the required signature verifications etc.

I found this presentation
<https://www.de-cix.net/Files/11a60fcb156e443c98010211f498f5ae4439dab0/Matthias-Waehlisch---BGPSec---AS-path-validation.pdf>
be very informative about BGPSEC's guarantees and failure modes, it's a few
years old but still provides a nice overview.

Hope that helps,
Rayhaan

Disclaimer: any and all views expressed here are those of myself in a
personal capacity, and not necessarily those of my employer.