100g PCS Errors

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Thu Aug 20 06:16:53 UTC 2020

On Wed, 19 Aug 2020 at 21:39, Mark Tinka <mark.tinka at seacom.com> wrote:

> > What is the device on the other side of the MX204 100G link.   We've had some incrementing PCS errors on 100G links when the other side was a Juniper PTX1000 using port et-0/0/25.   Using a different port on the PTX1000 resolved the incrementing PCS errors.  We opened JTAC cases for two incidents and a root cause was never found.
>
> Good to know, we are just about to start deploying a bunch of PTX1000's.

On QSFP28 devices I would recommend always when possible run RS-FEC.
By default LR4 doesn't run it, but the added value is fantastic. You
will immediately during turn-up know if circuit works or not, without
any ping testing or live traffic. You will know if the circuit doesn't
work, before it impacts customers. Combine preFEC with DDM and you
have fantastic predictive power over failures and you can
reroute/schedule maintenance to fix issues before they become
symptomatic.

Unfortunately no SNMP counters for RS-FEC. No for Juniper, not for
Nokia, not for Arista, so screenscraping you go. I have an ER-079886
for JNPR, if someone wants to chip in.

--
  ++ytti