100g PCS Errors

Aaron aaron_ppus at fmad.com
Wed Aug 19 16:46:45 UTC 2020

we have been making 100G packet capture systems for 5 years now ( fmad.io
). In the early days vendor qualified transceivers really do make a
difference, its 25Gbps signaling per differential pair which is anything
but easy. Back then (4-5Y ago) the cheap QSFP28 vendors had some really
marginal parts... we had to tune the fpga alot to get the QSFP28s to to
work correctly, and even then some just wouldnt work at all / have alot of
errors.

If your using latests Finisar or Avago level transceivers should be fine,
currently (last 12 months) the cheap transceivers dont need any tuning too.
Guess depends if your using old HW / old transceivers or new HW with new
transceivers.

Aaron