Bottlenecks and link upgrades

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.com
Tue Aug 18 15:06:05 UTC 2020

On 15/Aug/20 11:35, Baldur Norddahl wrote:

> No plan survives contact with the enemy. Your careful made growth
> projection was fine until the brass made a deal with some major
> customer, which caused a traffic spike. Or any infinite other events
> that could and eventually will happen to you.

That's why your operations teams cannot work separately from the Sales
teams. If a big deal is in the pipeline, there should be someone
operational to do a simple feasibility check to see if the segment in
question will handle the traffic. If not, defer to standard lead times
to deliver. Or even extended ones if the deal is larger than usual.

> One hard thing, that almost everyone will get wrong at some point, is
> simulating load in the event multiple outages takes some links out,
> causing excessive traffic to reroute unto links that previously seemed
> fine.

So rather than simulate, insure, I say. By insure, I mean upgrade each
and every backbone link when it hits 50%, and you'll have less to worry
about when things start crumbling all over the place.

Mark.